Saturday, May 23, 2009

Fail Better*.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

This has been such a good week! I spent most of the time driving to new places(:, making more handmade headbands, bought two vintage blazers (the one i'm wearing is one of the two), finally got inspired (best feeling in the world!), and extremely enjoyed a night out on the town with some fierce ladies(;

But, going back to being inspired...it has been quite some time since I've been truly inspired, designing wise. The funny thing is that a little book helped me get out of that rut that I was in. The book is called Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better*. and every page is filled with quotes which help introduce perspective in our lives by reminding us that unaccepted failure is just a step toward success.

Personally, this little book has helped me tremendously. In my last quarter of school I took my last & final portfolio class, the most time consuming of them all....not to mention the one that emotionally dragged me down. When I first presented my portfolio to the teacher, they laid everything out on the table like... "Do you really think this garment would sell?" "What were you thinking when you designed this thing?" "You have poor construction" and BLAH blah BLAH.

First thought to come to mind: WTF. From then on I felt empty. But after reading the book...DGAF to that teacher. Being in the industry that I'm in everyone is going to put their 2 cents in. So now I'm not letting anyone bring me down because I'm too good enough to give up on a talent that I possess, & that I LOVE TOO MUCH!

Favorite quote: "After Fred Astaire's first screen test in 1933, the memo from the testing director of MGM read, "Can't act. Can't sing. Slightly bald. Can dance a little." Astaire once observed that "The higher up you go, the more mistakes you are allowed. Right at the top, if you make enough of them, it's considered to be your style."

Wow...I think I wrote too much. hahaha(:

(Vintage blazer, Express loose t, Charlotte Russe jeans, Unknown sequined flats, H&M flower, Ecko leather bag)

Currently jamming to: The Best Day - Taylor Swift

22 comments:

divanaurlopie said...

thanks;)

you are beautifull ; )

Ash Fox said...

your blazer is amazing and the touch of pink is perfection. very cool blog!
i'll have to check out the book you mentioned.
x
www.tittees.blogspot.com

FASHION CHALET said...

Thanks honey. :)

You remind me that I need to go blaZer-hunting. My old favorite is so worn out.. from work lol.. you look great! :)



x

Liz said...

That blazer is wonderful, nice touch with the flower!

Syed said...

The colour of that blazer is beautiful on you, and I love the flower pin :) And never let it get you down dear, they say those things, because they want you to fit into the norm at first, and make sure you can do all of the technical things by the book. But once you do that, then you get to be as creative as you want. The book sounds lovely :)

Anonymous said...

aww babes i'm glad you had a super week. getting inspired is one of the most amazing feelings in the world. so proud that you didn't let that prick of a teacher get you down. my dear you look insanely gorgeous. i loooove your hair, its disgustingly perfect. you're totally rocking the blue blazer, lovely. i need some summer blazers, all my winter ones are murder in the heat :]]

xoxo
mad love
whitnehollington

jules said...

You are really the cutest. I love being inspired, and buying new things, and driving new places!

Niviarsiaq said...

great post! The color of that blazer is amazing and looks so good on you! I like the Fred Astaire quote, very cool.
Yeah, fashion is a tough business to be in! For every 1 person that believes in you there are always 10 more that don't. But the important thing is to believe in yourself :)

C.Chico said...

the color of your blazer is so pretty

kulululu said...

i want that rose!:)and i love your blazer

karl's sweet child said...

oooowh lovely brooch!

kayleigh said...

lovely

Syed said...

I gave you an award dear :)

Hannah said...

I completely love the colors you incorporated into the outfit.
The blazer is absolutely lovely, as well :)

Anonymous said...

looking good. you inspire me

Anonymous said...

girl you just amaze me. that blazer is mighty fine and i am so goin blazer shopping. the flower is a nice touch, i am so buying one of those fine-in line thangs. you are just amazing, no you are beautiful. girl you are just plain beautiful. you are like my fashion guru. everything i wear will be based on what you wear. you inspire me. you are just working those thangs and lookin so pretay!

Yet said...

The flower and the purse rock, you GO girl!!

Anonymous said...

your updated bangs suit you verrry well!
i like the colour combinations that you have going on.

With love Jessi

Shen-Shen said...

I think I may have fallen in love with Fred Astaire! I like your flower pin.

Frock Around the Clock said...

I love that quote! And I am so jealous of that blazer.. it looks so pretty with the corsage! :) x

This chick's got style said...

Wow, gorgeous pictures and I love your hair!!

x!

The FourOhSeven said...

love the colour of your blazer!